Tuesday 11 June 2013

16 Weeks Pregnant


This week I am 16 weeks pregnant.  I always consider this a bit of mini milestone being half way between the 12 and 20 weeks scans, and, if you believe the week by week pregnancy guides, this week baby puts on a growth spurt meaning you actually start to look and feel properly pregnant (if you didn’t already).  Also, in my case it is the week I am beginning to feel the first flutterings of movement.  A very reassuring feeling!



I had my first midwife’s appointment this week since I was 7 weeks pregnant.  My first appointment where she actually checks the baby’s heartbeat with a doppler.  It’s hard to believe that for the majority of people that don’t pay for a private scan or buy their own doppler, this is the first opportunity they will have had to hear their baby’s heartbeat!  I don’t think I could ever be patient enough to wait that long!!! ;-)


First of all I was given the results of my blood tests taken at 7 weeks and the 12 week combined blood and ultrasound Down Syndrome risk.  My blood results were all fine and I was given a combined screening risk of 1:8394.  This was higher than when I was pregnant with Celeste but still on the pretty low side.


The midwife then checked my urine and blood pressure.  Nothing abnormal was detected in my urine and my blood pressure was 100/65.  So all good there too! :-)


Finally, I got to get up on the table.  As soon as the midwife turned the Doppler on we could hear baby kicking away.  She seemed a bit taken aback with how active he/she was :-)  When baby finally stopped moving long enough to detect a heartbeat, we got a good, clear reading of 160 BPM.


The midwife doesn’t want to see me again until I’m 22 weeks, not until after my detailed anatomy scan.  I really hope she sees me more often than the last time in the last couple of months of the pregnancy as I am sure she would have realised how low Celeste was if she had seen me in the couple of weeks preceding my premature labour.

No comments:

Post a Comment